Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My How You've Grown!

Last Thursday was my 18-week ultrasound - the anatomy scan. I had one ultrasound early in my first trimester in order to date the pregnancy (it turned out I was 9 weeks along). Having that first ultrasound felt like a big step, but seeing the picture of my baby made me think...mmm, gummy bears. Don't you see the resemblance? (Head on the right, curled up legs / feet at the left.)

Today, however, I can confirm that I am indeed having a baby with flesh and bones. (And not a turtle, as I had feared...).

Isn't that beautiful? Yet how is it possible that this entire baby fits into my belly?

I swear I can feel each belly growth spurt, however minor it may look to everyone else. I know it doesn't look like much in the picture, but to me the growth is amazing! (My jeans are just starting to get tight. Maybe it's just because I'm indulging in my daily cravings for hot chocolate, but in any case, the maternity pants my mom sent me last week will very soon be put to use...)

Anyway, back to the exciting news - Thursday's ultrasound. It was absolutely amazing for both Patrick and me to see the little baby to come to life in front of our eyes - and so reassuring to see that it had all the necessary parts, in all the right places.


Speaking of necessary parts, we were able to confidently (VERY confidently!) confirm that we are having a BOY! We also got to see that this baby is, in fact, a Byron, as it wouldn't sit still for the first 30 minutes, then comfortably lodged itself into the deepest corner and wouldn't budge, meaning I'll have to come back in a week to get the brain anatomy and spinal cord images. Patrick is entirely to blame for that behavior.
But that's okay. I still love him anyway.

No comments: