Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ho, Ho, Ho & Happy New Year!

I’ve been having a glimpse into what maternity leave might be like, as I’ve been away from work since the day before Christmas Eve. Granted, I’m much more able to get things done now than I will be once the baby comes, but that doesn’t mean I do a whole lot – some cleaning, some sewing, some shopping, some baby prep...The time at home has been nice, but it’s gone by quickly, probably since we weren’t really even at home until a couple days ago. Just enough time to put the crib together!!

The celebrating kicked off on the 23rd, which was Diana’s 5th birthday. After presents, dinner, and yummy cupcakes, we headed straight to Elysian.

The rest of the Byrons made their way to the lake house the next day, making for a full and fun Christmas Eve. The day got off to a good start when Santa stopped by, before continuing on his way to China!

Next up on the Christmas Eve agenda was a re-enactment of the Nativity Story. In order to play the part she so wanted for her school performance (the Star!), Diana figured out that it pays to also be the director. In the end, Jena was given the role of the Star, Diana and the other girls were angels, Baxter was the little lamb, Danny was Baby Jesus, and the boys were the Wise Guys...I mean Wise Men.

I always miss “home” at Christmastime, especially the lovely services my Dad puts together. This year I missed them all even more, despite having seen most of the family just a few weeks earlier, for two reasons:

1 - All of my family made it to NC for Christmas...and I still haven't heard any stories!
2 - It was a balmy 70 degrees in NC, while Patrick and I tried to find the warmest clothes possible to survive our lovely 3-degree night!

The next couple days were mostly spent lounging about. Spud and I got to enjoy some quality rest time, in between his increasingly active awake moments. This kiddo is getting big and strong! I still can’t tell exactly which body part is poking about, but I certainly enjoy watching him (and my belly) shake!

The Christmas week ended with an extended Byron get-together. After lunch and the circle of gifts, we ended the night at a St. Paul Irish Pub - good music, good company, and good games!

Last night was New Year’s Eve and also our 4th wedding anniversary. Time is certainly flying by! I must admit, though, I’m very excited for 2009…If it’s anything like this year, we’re in for some fun times!

No comments: